Friday, August 11, 2017

Eventful Summer

So I haven't been blogging too much this summer due a very eventful summer because of work. I work with first generation and low-income high school students at a college prep program for my full-time job. Every year I go away for three weeks as part of a six week summer academy and staff work 24/7 around the clock weekdays and weekends. During the academic year, we provide tutoring, workshops, classes and so much more after school and on the weekends. During the summer, we have a 8-4 day for three weeks at the community college that I work at. The last three weeks is the residential component that involves living at a residential college campus. It's an intense and exhausting job but it's so rewarding.

Seeing students succeed and reach higher is something money can't buy. Although the pay isn't that great, I've helped countless amount of students graduate high school and go to college. The great thing is seeing some of the alumni who graduated college. Not only do I see students' growth throughout the years, but the program I work with provides the atmosphere for a second family to bond. 

I just came back last Saturday and took off Monday to relax before going back to the office. But of course my co-workers and had to pack the whole office in less than 3 days to move to a new office. Because we already moved 2.5 hours away for the three weeks of summer and back, packing is something we were not looking forward to do on Tuesday. Nevertheless, we succeeded in packing by putting in overtime hours. I am looking forward to a wonderful vacation next week in New Orleans. Speaking of New Orleans, I will be doing a recap of my trip sometime after I get back from my trip.


I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer. What did you do in July and for the first couple weeks of August?

No comments:

Post a Comment